Okay, I debated the merits of posting this here. This is a thing that was sent to me on my tumblr (kind of like a chain letter, but nothing bad happens if you don’t pass it on :P), and after much soul-searching, I’ve decided that I really like what I have to say here and it deserves entry in the blog. So, here goes, Five Things I Like About Myself:
- My eyes- I love the color of my eyes. They are green, with a ring of dark blue around the iris and they change color depending on what I’m wearing, some days more blue, some days more green. I have really bad eyesight, so I have to wear contacts or glasses and when I was a kid I got colored contacts that were aquamarine and they were the freaking best! I miss those 😛
- My nose- Yes, okay, another physical trait, but I promise this is the last one. I really do hate most things about my body, but I love my nose for some strange reason. I can always look at my face, even on a bad day, and just say “Well, at least I have my father’s nose.” I know that’s probably a weird thing for a girl to be thankful for, but it’s true 😛
- My child-like enthusiasm- I know this is probably something about myself that most people find annoying and/or obnoxious, and I apologize for it constantly, but the truth is I wouldn’t change it for anything. When I am 90 years old and in the nursing home, I will still be squealing like a gleeful five-year-old every time a squirrel runs anywhere near me. I will still sit and have very enthusiastic and detailed conversations with other nerds in their 90’s (or anyone who will listen: nurses, visiting children, visiting adults…) about Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Supernatural, the newest crop of Marvel movies, and whatever else has bitten me with the obsessive bug by that time (I’m sure the list will be innumerable). There is a line in a Yellowcard song that I heard recently: “They say you don’t grow up, you just grow old. It’s safe to say I haven’t done both.” (the song is “Here I Am Alive” and it has become my new theme song, btw) and I really hope that I still embody that line until the day that I die. 😀
- My strong need to defend those close to me- I have a motto. I have had this motto since I was in high school and I had a strangely defining moment in my life, when I realized that this one simple phrase could basically sum up my relationship with the world at large. You can do whatever you want to me… but don’t mess with my peeps. If you are my friend, I will not tolerate others hurting you, physically, mentally, emotionally. Even if it’s something that someone has done to me in the past and I just shook it off and said it was no big deal, if you are my friend, and it happens to you, I will not tolerate it. I will go to the ends of the earth to defend you from whoever or whatever is hurting you. And I have my father’s wild temper, so to whomever decides to test this motto… God help you, is all I have to say.
- My creativity- My brain does not shut off. Sometimes it can be very annoying. Especially when I’m lying in bed, at 3 AM, knowing I have to get up and go to work in a few hours, but I cannot get this idea for a song I wrote 5 years ago out of my head. But that creativity fuels my writing, and writing is something that I have discovered I love to do. I can’t imagine living in a world that did not contain all these imaginary worlds inside it. Everywhere I go, these other worlds go with me in my head, and sometimes, when this world starts to suck too bad, I can pull them out and just live in them for a while. Okay, so I sound like a crazy person, but I am of the belief that all creative genius comes from a place of insanity. It’s a fine line, but I toe it with pride!
Okay, so I think that covers it. Feel free to do one of these yourself if you like, and let me know so I can read it! It may seem difficult, but I discovered that it’s actually quite rewarding, and I’m very glad I gave it a shot!